Last week, the whole SensioLabs team was thrilled to host a unique Elastic France meetup with many developers attending. This event was the opportunity to make the link between Symfony and ElasticSearch, two very complementary Open Source technologies.
On January 14th, a meetup gathering members from the Elastic France community took place on the premises of SensioLabs in Paris. Throughout the evening, some speakers shared their technical presentations about ElasticSearch and Elastic innovations, under the leadership of David Pilato.
Elastic is the company behind the Elastic Stack — that’s Elasticsearch, Kibana, Beats, and Logstash. From stock quotes to Twitter streams, Apache logs to WordPress blogs, Elastic helps people explore and analyze their data differently using the power of search.
After a welcome speech, three speakers had the chance to speak during the meetup:
- Damien Alexandre from JoliCode on “The state of the art of using Elasticsearch with Symfony“
- Galla Topalian, digital project engineer for the ALFA project at the Paris Observatory on “DISHAS and Elastic Stack: diving into the data of ancient astronomy“
- Aurélien Foucret from Elastic on “PHP search relevance made easy with App Search“
Each talk was highly appreciated: the speakers presented various aspects of Elastic products.
Damien Alexandre explained what are the good practices when using Elasticsearch with Symfony. It was a new updated presentation compared to his talk at the SymfonyLive Paris 2019 (that you can find in French at this link) with lots of useful advice for every PHP developer who works with Elasticsearch. You can find his slides here.
Then, Galla Topalian described her use of the Elastic Stack as part of a research project in history on astronomical data. Astronomical data is a very abundant source for historians, especially for dating events. Thanks to the implementation of Kibana, Galla gives to her fellow historians the opportunity to research this type of data much more easily, which may allow new historical breakthroughs!
Finally, the meetup ended with a presentation by Aurélien Foucret from Elastic. He told us about App Research, a component facilitating the integration of research on applications in PHP. More information is available on the Github page of the project at this link.
After the meetup, all attendees could have informal talks at the SensioLabs bar with pizzas and drinks provided by SensioLabs 🍕🍻
The SensioLabs development team uses the best open source technologies available on the market such as Docker, Behat, PHPUnit, … Elasticsearch is one of these tools. SensioLabs integrates Elasticsearch into many projects to improve database researches and to enhance Business Intelligence solutions.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome again on our premises the Elastic community soon or another meetup reunion 😊
Watch the videos of the meetup (in French):
- The state of the art of using Elasticsearch with Symfony https://www.elastic.co/fr/videos/state-of-the-art-of-elasticsearch-with-symfony
- DISHAS and Elastic Stack: diving into the data of ancient astronomy https://www.elastic.co/fr/videos/dishas-and-elastic-stack-a-dive-into-the-data-of-ancient-astronomy
- PHP search relevance made easy with App Search https://www.elastic.co/fr/videos/php-search-relevance-made-easy-with-app-search